Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Life Cycle of the Painted Lady Butterfly

Every year now for many years my second grade students have studied the life cycle of the Painted Lady Butterfly.  But this year I tried something new - time lapse photography!  Using an iPod Touch, I recorded each stage of the life cycle from the first day they arrived in our classroom.  Using iMovie, I put together a 5 minute movie of what we observed.  It was amazing to my students to see the time lapse video going clear across the Smart Board.  What was once a tiny little critter in a jar was now a creature much larger than life, and very easy to observe.  The app I used was called TimeLapse, and it was very easy to use.  I put a lamp next to the jar or butterfly cage to see their movement after the sun went down and the classroom lights timed out.  It was also important to keep the iPod attached to a power source so the battery didn't die.  I loved using the time lapse app!  Check out our movie!

Time Lapse Movie


--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63B1lnqPa8k

No comments:

Post a Comment